Thursday, May 22, 2008

He got a leg!


My student who was missing one! He got one!

In the schoolyard a few weeks back, I noticed he was no longer walking with crutches under each arm, and now had only one – a new one – that his arm linked through and he held with his hand.

Later that day in class I called him over to ask what had prompted the change. It was then I noticed his shoe. More accurately, his shoes. He was wearing two.

“Nice shoes,” I commented as he approached.

A wide smile spread over his entire face. “Thank you Miss,” he replied softly.

Not wanting to pry too much into how he had gotten it, I asked him how he felt. He told me he felt good, but that the fitting was sore. His doctor, he said, had told him that this was common and that once his leg adjusted to the prosthetic he would be fine.

Two weeks later he tapped me on the shoulder.

“All good Miss. I feel great.”

And he hasn’t stopped smiling since.

No comments: